3.12 Emergency call access
Ensuring that CE can be used to give access to an emergency call is one of the four ACMA’s Heads of Power under s376 of the Telecommunications Act 1997.
Requirements for emergency call access for customer equipment are specified in the following three Standards:
- AS/ACIF S002 Analogue interworking and non-interference requirements for Customer Equipment for connection to the Public Switched Telephone Network.
- AS/ACIF S003 Customer Access Equipment for connection to a Telecommunications Network.
- AS/ACIF S031 Requirements for ISDN Basic Access Interface.
- AS/ACIF S038 Requirements for ISDN Primary Rate Access Interface.
- AS/ACIF S042.1 Requirements for connection to an air interface of a Telecommunications Network.
- AS/CA S043.1 Requirements for Customer Equipment for connection to a metallic local loop interface of a Telecommunications Network - Part 1: General.
In addition the ACMA regulates and monitors the provision of the Emergency Call Services. The ACMA has made determinations placing requirements on C/CSPs and emergency call persons with respect to the Emergency Call Service. This includes obligations on VoIP Service Providers who supply two-way VoIP services and VoIP-out only services that are capable of dialling into the PSTN.