C525:2017 Incorporating Variation No.1/2018 Handling of Life Threatening and Unwelcome Communications
Provides standard procedures for the cooperative handling (including call tracing) by carriers, carriage service providers and the national relay service provider of communications across networks that are life threatening or connected with a pattern of unwelcome communications. The Code also outlines when carriers, carriage service providers and the national relay service provider can deal with unwelcome call complaints relating to non real-time communications such as SMS, MMS and email.
The Code was revised in 2017 to address:
- Patterns of Unwelcome Communications from a single A-Party using multiple communications paths to the same B-Party;
- the need for rules and procedures for managing Unwelcome Communications to Helplines, by adding a new chapter; specifically, for Helplines;
- handling Unwelcome Communications via an Over The Top service;
- changes to reflect industry processes for improved management of Life Threatening and Unwelcome Communications as well as the development of new and emerging technologies; and
- the need to clarify some of the existing Code content and greater clarity around the processes by inclusion of additional notes and flowcharts
In conjunction with this revision, two Industry Guidance notes have been developed. The first is a guide for Customers Process Industry Guidance Note IGN010 2017 and the second sets out the agreed thresholds for complaints to Helplines.
To access the processes set out in chapter 5 of this Code, Helpline organisations are required to complete an online submission form to be registered on the Helpline Register maintained by Communications Alliance.
Register: Please enter your Helpline details here Submission Form